POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Q: memory settings in configuration dialog : Re: Q: memory settings in configuration dialog Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: memory settings in configuration dialog
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 22 Dec 1999 13:37:23
Message: <386219e5.1007468@194.174.214.110>
Hi michael mccue, you recently wrote in email:

> What should I assign for vertcal and horizontal settings?
I think what you mean is the memory for the vertex list and for the
edge list. Moray stores vertices (points) and edges (connection
information) of the wireframes. For speed these are kept contiguous in
memory.

> The default figures of 8000 Kb and 4500 Kb seem low with the 256 Mb
> available but maybe I am missing something.
The numbers are not directly related to available or installed memory.
As long as the indicators in the status bar (V:xxxx yy% and E:zzzz
ww%) are not red and are below 90%, you're fine. For larger scenes,
you may need to increase these numbers until the indicators are no
longer red. Moray will still run fine even if they are red, but parts
of the wireframe will be missing, since there is not enough memory to
store all vertices and edges.
It is a bad idea to make these lists larger than they need to be,
since anything that is not used is wasted (but allocated) memory which
POV-Ray could be utilizing to render the scene.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray