POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : FTP problems : Re: FTP problems Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FTP problems
From: TonyB
Date: 22 Dec 1999 10:32:02
Message: <3860eef2@news.povray.org>
>When I look commercial software, I am saying to me Pov is great!
>Commercial software has just good modeller and animation facilities
>that Pov don't have but concerning the rendering engine it is
>often not better than Pov! (some commercial software include
>caustic ( and even standard raytracing) only since few time)

Please remember that they are also faster at rendering than POV. POV is pure
trayracing, but these guys only put it in where it is necesary (reflective,
refractive surfaces). The expensive packages are better than POV, but what
can one expect for $2500+? I mean, if ain't good at that price, then they're
totally ripping you off. For me, POV is good enough (so far...). And you
can't beat this price, can you?