POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering LARGE pov files : Re: Rendering LARGE pov files Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering LARGE pov files
From: Simon Andrews
Date: 22 Dec 1999 05:59:54
Message: <3860AF2A.410A80FF@bbsrc.ac.uk>
Hello again,

	Thanks to all who have replied and tried to help me sort this one out.
I'm still having no joy getting these things to render even having
played around with various memory settings.

	The files themselves are generated by a couple of molecular modelling
packages.  The .inc files they generate are simple object descriptions,
containing 50000+ (in some cases a lot more!) smooth triangle
descriptions with no subroutines to other .inc files.  It would appear
that it's merely the number of objects which is causing problems (though
surely some of the complex scenes I have seen published must contain a
comparable number of objects??).

	A couple of other things which may (or may not) be important...

	I am running under Windows NT 4, I have a 250Mb swap file available in
addition to 128Mb memory.  Increasing the swap to 500Mb didn't help.
Restarting windows didn't seem to improve things either.

	When the file parses I get a lot (100+) of errors from the renderer.  I
get these even from files which eventually render fine - I assume they
are a bug in the .inc file generation algorithm.  They are usually of
the form

	Degenerate triangle - please remove
or	CSG union unnecesarily bounded

	The sheer number of these errors, and the size of the .inc files means
that clearing them up is not really an option (unless there is a simple
macro I could pass them through).

	I have managed to get small surfaces (~30000 triangles) to render OK
but this only gives me a limited view of what I am trying to visualise.

	Again, any further suggestions are welcomed!
	I hope you all have a great xmas

	Simon.