POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering LARGE pov files : Re: Rendering LARGE pov files Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering LARGE pov files
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 21 Dec 1999 22:09:28
Message: <386040e8@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote ...

>  Even assuming that he is using the internal funtion would it not be safe
> assume that if you specify a seperate color for each corner of a triangle
that
> you would still comsume considerably larger amounts of memory than if you
> were to texture the mesh seperately ? Seems to me like this feature would
> require quite a few memory pointers to the color locations.

The smooth_color_triangle patch uses a single color value for each point.
Let's see here, I think there's 4*5=20 bytes per color, 8*3=24 bytes per
vertex, 8*3=24 bytes per normal, 4 bytes per texture pointer, and 4 bytes
per integer index.  So, if you have unique 1,000 vertices making up maybe
800 triangles, you would have:

colors + vertices + normals +
    indices for all three + pointers for textures

20,000+24,000+24,000+3,200*3+3,200=80,800 bytes

Without colors, you'd get
24,000+24,000+3,200*2+3,200=57,600 bytes

So, the colors make up less than a third of the data.  I have oversimplified
this, but the general idea is correct.

-Nathan