POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : dat_?d_? : Re: dat_?d_? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dat_?d_?
From: david sharp
Date: 19 Dec 1999 14:11:51
Message: <385d2df7@news.povray.org>
Nieminen Juha wrote:
> No, I really mean df3 density data, not a function (unless the function
can
> read an array...).

So you are asking if one can create data for dat_3d_3
inside the scene file? Like maybe using a #macro ?
So far as I can tell, the function{} can't use arrays or #macros.
I would like to use data arrays that are more complex than is
practical to get from what fits in a function{} declaration.
For example, all kinds weird recursive stuff, integral transforms,
fractals, etc etc. POV script language being more complex than what
is accepted inside function{}.
What I have been playing with  is using the POV-Ray scene
script language to #fopen a data file and fill that file with data,
#fclose, then somewhere below that in the scene file just call
dat_3d_3 on the just created data file. It works OK, but it is not
very efficient, since that data "should" just be put into an array
in memory which dat_3d_ "should" be able to read.
Is that what you mean?