POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : normals - how should they look? : Re: normals - how should they look? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 22:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normals - how should they look?
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 17 Dec 1999 12:52:11
Message: <385a784b@news.povray.org>
TonyB <ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote...
> *If you scale the object (uniformly), all the attributes of the object
> should look the same, ie: you zoom out the appropriate ammount, and it
looks
> the same.
> *If you scale the normal (uniformly), the normal should scale, but the
depth
> remain the same. To control depth, use bump_size.
> *If you scale the object (non-uniformly), all the attributes of the object
> should fit in the same space as before scaling, ie: like if they were
pasted
> to it and squished or stretched with it.
> *If you scale the normal (non-uniformly), the normal should squish or
> stretch, with the depth remaining the same. Again, to control depth, use
> bump_size.

This would be very difficult to implement in the existing code.  I do hope
that this is not the rule-set that is agreed upon.  But I do see your logic
and agree at least somewhat.  ;-)

> 6) None of the above. Here, it should stretch in the y direction, but the
> depth should remain the same.

The top of the box has a normal of 'y' so stretching it in the Y direction
should leave it
the same (well, maybe the pattern changes a bit).

-Nathan