POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : normals - how should they look? : Re: normals - how should they look? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normals - how should they look?
From: TonyB
Date: 17 Dec 1999 10:44:53
Message: <385a5a75@news.povray.org>
Let me put it this way:

*If you scale the object (uniformly), all the attributes of the object
should look the same, ie: you zoom out the appropriate ammount, and it looks
the same.
*If you scale the normal (uniformly), the normal should scale, but the depth
remain the same. To control depth, use bump_size.
*If you scale the object (non-uniformly), all the attributes of the object
should fit in the same space as before scaling, ie: like if they were pasted
to it and squished or stretched with it.
*If you scale the normal (non-uniformly), the normal should squish or
stretch, with the depth remaining the same. Again, to control depth, use
bump_size.

So, in conclusion, the depth should maintain itself along with the scale, so
the object looks the same, no matter what scale. To change the depth, use
bump_size. This is my humble opinion. Now, to answer your survey:

1) A
2) B
3) A
4) None of the above? I don't understand what "slope" is, but I know that
all the attributes of the normal should scale according to the scale, thus
becoming deeper and larger, or shallower and smaller, depending on the scale
applied.
5) In this case, the normal should be more tightly packed in the y region
than in the x and z regions, and thus B?
6) None of the above. Here, it should stretch in the y direction, but the
depth should remain the same.
A) The normal is part of the texture "glued" to the object, so it should
"stick" to it and look the same. Perhaps B, although it looks too deep for
my taste.
B) B
C) A
D) B

I hope I was consistent in my responses and reasonings, Mom interrupted me
like 10 times to call people to thank them for my graduation presents. I
even got a cell phone! =)