POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : normals - how should they look? : Re: normals - how should they look? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normals - how should they look?
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 17 Dec 1999 06:19:20
Message: <385a1c38@news.povray.org>
1: A

  Of course the slope should not change if we are scaling uniformly.

2: B

  This is a tricky question. Since the normal modifier simulates a kind
of heightfield, one should expect this kind of non-uniform scale to affect
its depth. Thus, I think that B is the most correct behaviour.
  The tricky part is what happens with the other sides of the box.
Unfortunately you didn't show them in the pictures, so I can't judge.
Since we are scaling more in the x and z directions, the slopes in the
sides of the box should get deeper (and the pattern "squeezed" in the y
direction due to the scale, of course), as a heightfield applied to the
sides of the box would. Does it do this?
  If the slopes in the sides of the box get also less deep (as in the top),
then I think that it's not a correct behaviour.

3: A

  This is the same as question 2 but in the other direction. If it works
like 2, then it's ok.

4: A
5: B
6: A

  I don't think that there's any difference between these and the three
previous.

  If megapov already works this way, then I apologize for my behaviour.