POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Att: POV-team (Master of Arts thesis) : Att: POV-team (Master of Arts thesis) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Att: POV-team (Master of Arts thesis)
From: Mikael Carneholm
Date: 21 Dec 1999 10:03:58
Message: <385F96C8.964BFB27@ida.utb.hb.se>
Dear POV-team,

I am about to write my Master of Arts thesis in computer science this
spring, and have a proposal that I want you to think about:

Even though I don't know anything about the current plans on development
of OO-POV-script, I recall a discussion of making the POV-script
language object-oriented. As I feel very strongly about POV (and feel
that I have the ideas and knowledge needed) I was thinking about
developing a BNF (and possibly also UML) for an OO-POVscript as a part
of my thesis that you, the POV-team, could use for further
development/implementation.

I have talked to my tutor who gave me permission to continue, provided
that I first talked to you (the POV-team).

Some ideas about the OO-POVscript:
- The OO-version should be fully backwards-compatible with current
syntax.
- The OO-features should be somewhat "simplified" - i.e, targeted at
users, not developers
- The main purpose of the OO is to provide advanced users (such as
writers of include files) with a set of powerful tools that you don't
have to use if you just want to describe a scene (backwards compability)

Please take your time to think it over. I would really enjoy to do this
for my Master of Arts thesis, but if this would be of no use to you,
I'll just have to think of something else!

Best regards,

- Mikael.

Mikael Carneholm
Dep. of Computer Science and Business Administration

Personal homepage:
http://www.studenter.hb.se/~arch
E-mail:
sa9### [at] idautbhbse