POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : normals - how should they look? : Re: normals - how should they look? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 22:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normals - how should they look?
From: PoD
Date: 17 Dec 1999 11:25:07
Message: <385A6481.68CCAA39@merlin.net.au>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> I am wondering what people really think about how normals and scaling should
> work.  If you're interested in this topic, please see this page and take the
> 'surface normal survey'.  You can reply by emailing me or reply to this
> post.
>
> http://nathan.kopp.com/normals.htm
>
> -Nathan

for object{ box{...normal{...} scale<x,y,z>} it definitely should
act the same as if the normal were real geometry.

So 1-A, 2-B, 3-A

If only the normal is scaled, it's more of a tricky question.
I think I'd have to go with scaling the pattern but not the depth
though I'm not real happy about that because it's inconsistent.

4-B, 5-B, 6-B
but still with reservations :(

Anyway, it's good to get all this thrashed out before any more
patching gets done.

Cheers, PoD.