POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : [Q] Installation problem : Re: [Q] Installation problem Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Q] Installation problem
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 17 Dec 1999 09:07:56
Message: <385A43B5.4EB55B18@mailbag.com>
KeunHo Yoon wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I have a problem.
> When I completed compiling povuni_i.tgz,povuni_d.tgz and
> pvmpov-3.1-patch.tgz, On my machines pvmpov file is no in
> povray31/sources/pvm/LINUX directory.
> I keeped on the Pondermatic Doc.

Strange.  Did you get any error messages from any of the steps?

> 2.Download the PVMPOV patch file and store in your home directory.
> 3.Create a directory called pvmpov3_1e_1 in your home directory using the
> mkdir command.
> 4.Copy the povray files into the pvmpov3_1e_1 directory and untar them. This
> will create a directory called /povray31.

No, if you're in your home directory, it will make a directory called
$HOME/povray31 (pretend you're a shell an expand $HOME).  /povray31
would be a subdirectory of /, which makes no sense unless you're doing
this as root (bad idea) in a machine for which root's home directory is
/ (also a bad idea).

> Change into the /pvmpov3_1e-1 directory.

Is your home directory really /?  Are there any Linux distributions taht
do this?

> 6.Change into the /pvmpov3_1e_1/povray31/source/zlib directory to compile

See above about /.

> 7.Change into the /pvmpov3_1e_1/povray31/source/libpng directory to compile

See above about /.

> 8.Change into the /pvmpov3_1e_1/povray31/source/pvm directory

See above about /.  BTW, are you doing this in Linux?  The Pondermatic
instructions only make sense for Linux; otherwise they require some
modification.

> 11.Now start the compile by entering "aimk newunix" from the
> /pvmpov3_1e-1/povray31/source/pvm directory. When complete the PVMPOV
> executable will be in the /povray31/sources/pvm/LINUX directory. Copy this
> to your main home directory. Run "aimk newsvga" and "aimk newxwin" to
> generate the SVGA and X-windows versions respectively.

I sound like a broken record.

Three possibilities come to mind:
1) You have a bunch of stuff in / rather than ~/ (assuming / isn't your
home directory).
2) You got some error messages you didn't mention.
3) You're slavishly following Linux instructions on a non-Linux box.

Or it could be something else. *shrug* I've gotten it to work.

-Mark Gordon