POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : normals - how should they look? : Re: normals - how should they look? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normals - how should they look?
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 16 Dec 1999 23:36:22
Message: <3859bdc6@news.povray.org>
SamuelT. <STB### [at] aolcom> wrote...
> No answers here, but an idea: can't you just add some more keywords so the
user
> can have all the possibilites? Especially the one where the normal depth
is
> flattened depending how you scale the object.

I am trying to find a way to do this.

My personal preference is: A,B,A,A,B,A
The rule here is: scaling ALWAYS affects depth.
I have found a way to implement this.

My close second choice is: B,B,B,B,B,B
The rule here is: scaling NEVER affects depth.
I have not yet found a way to implement this perfectly, but I'm looking.
<< Ohhh... brainstorm... I just thought of something that I'll have to try.
:-) >>

My third choice is: A,B,A,B,B,B
The rule here is: scaling the object ALWAYS affects depth
and scaling the normal NEVER affects depth.
This could be quite difficult to implement.  Please don't say you want it to
act this way.

What does the official version do?
Patterns such as waves/bumps: B,B,B,B,B,B
Patterns such as waves/bumps within normal_map: B,B,B,B,B,B
Patterns such as granite/bozo: B,B,B,B,B,B
Patterns such as granite/bozo within normal_map: A,A,B,A,A,B

( see a trend?  maybe keeping b,b,b,b,b,b would be good now that I look at
it this way... )

-Nathan