POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : normals - how should they look? : Re: normals - how should they look? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normals - how should they look?
From: Ken
Date: 16 Dec 1999 22:31:19
Message: <3859ACE5.C6633885@pacbell.net>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> I am wondering what people really think about how normals and scaling should
> work.  If you're interested in this topic, please see this page and take the
> 'surface normal survey'.  You can reply by emailing me or reply to this
> post.
>
> http://nathan.kopp.com/normals.htm
>
> -Nathan

1.) A
2.) B
3.) B
4.) B
5.) B
6.) B

Rational for some of the answers -

If you glue sand to the surface of a box, like the one used in your examples,
as you scale the x & z directions the sand will be further apart but the
relative height of the roughness on the surface will remain unchanged. Since
we are talking surfaces here, if you glued sand to a thicker box, all you
would have is sand with the same granular size on a larger box. It's surface
roughness would remain unchanged. Therefore it is important to remember that
scaling an object should not change the surface normals depth. It may change
the slope and scale of the pattern but not it's physical depth.

--
Wishing you Seasons Greetings, A Merry Christmas, and A Happy New Year !