POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why the scaling of normals in megapov is wrong : Re: Why the scaling of normals in megapov is wrong Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why the scaling of normals in megapov is wrong
From: Fabian Brau
Date: 15 Dec 1999 07:19:25
Message: <385787E4.5423AF38@umh.ac.be>
Here is another example:

suppose you have a heightfield. Now close to it, you take a piece of
plane and you play with normal (you look from above). After lot of work,
your piece of plane look exactly like the heightfield (of course if you
look from the side, you see the elevation of the heightfield but
the plane is, of course, still flat!). You cannot say which is the
heightfield. You calculate one image, say height.tga. Now if you scale
both the heightfield and the piece of plane by the same factor x, and
if you modify the camera in a proper way, the piece of plane will still
look exactly like the heightfield. Moreover, if you calculate the image,
say
height2.tga, you get the same image than height.tga (perhaps if one
choose
a good heightfield (simple), it is possible to get with normal the same
thing. Atfer this one make the test with scaling.
This could be a interesting test for MegaPov)

Fabian.