POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : making one linux binary (comments please) : Re: making one linux binary (comments please) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: making one linux binary (comments please)
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 15 Dec 1999 05:00:17
Message: <385766A8.D0F0E096@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Hi Carl et al.,
in addition to Marks reply I have some things to note.

The binary Carl suggested would be great, but it won't work with the
current 'hooking' in povray. I discovered this in my attempt to do a
configure'd build.
Hooks (like the display-routines) are done by #define in povray. This is
ok for the current build-process, but anything changing this to be more
straightforward has to change that. And then it's not just a unix
problem anymore.
And another essential problem is, that there is just on hook for
display, and making a single binary can't cope with that. You can't
define the display routine to be both X and SVGA.

I just came upon a trick: #define the hooks to be dummy functions, that
are assigned to real function pointers on runtime. The unix-hooks could
stay as they are, just the display-hooks have to be assigned on runtime.
They could go to 'nothing' (for console), X or SVGA. The set of
available choices could be done with #ifdef and a -DHAVE_LIBX on the
compile line. (This looks close to autoconf right now).
But would this impose special linux commandline arguments? To choose X
or SVGA? Not so happy about that.

Getting this straight is the key to a configure;make;make install;
build. But perhaps Mark knows all about the feelings of the POV-Team
about the hooks.

Axel

PS: Should this thread end in povray.programming? Set followup as you
whish.