POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Question about normal bug fix : Re: Question about normal bug fix Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about normal bug fix
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 14 Dec 1999 08:58:00
Message: <38564D04.868D297A@inapg.inra.fr>
After running a few tests, I realize now that the previous implementation was
actually wrong...
You can run this little script and see that in Megapov the cube aspect doesn't
change for different values of sc. In regular POV, it behaves a little
strangely, to say the less.
#declare sc=1; //#declare sc=100;
camera{ location  20*<1,1,-1>   direction sc*z   right     4/3*x   look_at 0}
background{color rgb 1} light_source{1000*<1,1,-1> color rgb 2}
box{-1,1 texture{pigment{rgb <0,1,1>} normal{crackle 1}} scale 5/sc}

However, I'm a little bit concerned about the fact that, unless I'm mistaken,
the normal bug fix is changing the way all the scenes that include scaled
normals are now appearing. There is a serious problem of backward
compatibility here because fine-tuning again the normals of every previous
scene to obtain the same result as before is not something people will
spontaneously enjoy... Perhaps there should be something in global_settings to
make it easier.

G.