POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov and Unicode, compile problems under Linux : Re: MegaPov and Unicode, compile problems under Linux Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov and Unicode, compile problems under Linux
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 12 Dec 1999 18:44:45
Message: <38543365.6FB4BFEC@mailbag.com>
Carl Bartels wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I've mannaged to get megapov going nicely under Linux, but had to mess
> with the uniutils.c file to make it compile.  Could anyone tell me if
> what I did will break something?  (I kept getting a compile error at the
> end complaining about an undefined reference to stricmp in function
> uniGetEncodingByName)

I had problems with that too, initially.  It turns out UNIX wasn't
defined (YS must have thought it was), so I #defined UNIX in config.h,
which is a platform-specific file.  I got it to compile though; I'm not
sure why you had problems.  BTW, the default compile is going to whine
like nobody's business.  I turned on all the warnings in the compiler
flags in the makefile, and there's a lot of stuff to be warned about.
;-)

>   In the area around line 40 of uniutils.c I commented out most of the
> #ifdef stuff
> except the one line to "#define STRICMP strcasecmp" which is the unix
> choice (force it to make the unix choice.)
>
>   This change finally allowed everything to compile, but is it likely to
> break the
> unicode stuff?

No, that code is just there for portability.  You may have to repeat
your change if the code is updated, and since I'm not sure why you had
this problem (or why your fix made it any different), I'm not sure how
to change it on my end.

Let me know if you find out anything else.

-Mark Gordon