POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Radiosity bug in UVPOV 6.0/6.2 : Re: Radiosity bug in UVPOV 6.0/6.2 Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity bug in UVPOV 6.0/6.2
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 5 Dec 1999 17:33:43
Message: <384ae847@news.povray.org>
Paul Blaszczyk <3d### [at] alpharayde> wrote...
> Hello,
> i've rendered an old scene with UVPOV 6.2, and it takes
> much longer as with 6.0.
> The second thing was, .that the scene looked strange (see
> at the picture 'radiosity_uvpov.jpg' in the attachement).
> Rendering times for the scene:    0:47 min. UVPOV 6.0
>                                                  4:14 min. UVPOV 6.2

This is a bug with 6.2.  I will guess that your walls have surface normals.
If you remove them, this will render much faster and will look normal.  I
tried to make UVPov use normals with radiosity in 6.2, and it has a bug.
The next version will fix that bug and by default will ignore the surface
normal for radiosity calculations (much faster).

> The second bug:
> After restart of the rendering, the right wall becomes holes. I
> have tried a heigher value for max_intersections (like 128), but
> with no effect (see picture 'radiosity_uvpov2.jpg'). After restarting
> povray the scene renders normally (but only the first time...).

This may be the result of the same bug.  If you have a copy of 6.0 still,
try that.  If not, you'll have to wait for the next release and then let me
know if that fixes the problem.

-Nathan