POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Future of Moray/POVray : Re: Future of Moray/POVray (long) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:29:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future of Moray/POVray (long)
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 3 Dec 1999 06:17:42
Message: <3848a2ea.9396871@194.174.214.110>
Hi Florian Fischer, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> there are methods to do this (global visibility settings- check the
> manual to understand the system). The problem is not that this doesn't
> exist, but I think it's too difficult to use, so I've never actually
> used it.
Yes, this is not a optimal solution and one of the things we have
planned for a later version (not the next one) is a normal layer
system as many other packages have them.

> Rick wrote:
> > another thing that would help with big scene slowdown, would be a
> > better method of redrawing the scene, Moray tends to overdraw the
> > same pixel many many times (once for every object that intersects
> > that pixel).
Yes, only the edges are drawn and if they overlap (which they always
do when there are lots of objects, they are drawn multiple times.
Checking whether the pixel has been drawn wouldn't change anything,
except slow down the redraws.

> Perhaps it would help if spheres (, cylinders, patches, etc.) wouldn't
> just always consist of the same number of lines. What if this depended
> from their actual pixel size of the screen? While big spheres could
> gain accuracy, smaller ones could be drawn with fewer lines, thus
> speeding up things a lot.
That's a good idea, but is unsuitable for the current way that the
edges are handled in Moray. This is because you could have up to four
different settings for size on screen and we'd then need four
*different* edge lists, instead of the single one we have now. This
means four-times the memory footprint.

> Hey! Even more suggestions! There will soon be enough for Moray 4, 5,
Hehe, and you haven't even seen the long list that we'd like to
implement<g>.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray