POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Associating files w. POV-Ray : Re: Associating files w. POV-Ray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 06:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Associating files w. POV-Ray
From: Ron Parker
Date: 3 Dec 1999 08:13:56
Message: <3847c214@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 22:29:43 -0600, omniVERSE wrote:
>This would be great, were it not for one thing.  The user customizable
>extensions (languages too?) would no doubt only work correctly on ones own
>personal system and not on others so there would be a need for something
>akin to distributable Ini files, such as now are possible, should anyone
>want to share or distribute a certain file type.  Some sort of
>auto-recognition inherent to any and all POV-Ray files then?  Hmm, that
>might mean a binary instead of a ascii.  What do you think?

Well, one could do what emacs does and say that if a file starts with a
line that says (I think)

then it's a POV file.  But I'm not sure I see the need to pass these
associations around.  Someone getting a .ron file from me can feel free
to add their own association once they realize it's a POV file, or they
can just set the POV-language mode manually as they would now.