POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Future of Moray/POVray : Re: Future of Moray/POVray (long) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future of Moray/POVray (long)
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 3 Dec 1999 08:51:34
Message: <3847C9C7.BB6EF53E@mitre.org>
Rick wrote:

> Moray would also benifit from support of other solids based render engines
> (some one mentioned BMRT) but this would ONLY be worth doing if moray could
> be as compatable with that system as it is with POVray, being able to use a
> only a subset of the target render engines capabilities would be almost
> pointless - a bit like the early polyray plugin.

I believe that the way to get compatability with other rendering engines
is through some of the newest additions to the plugin interface.  Most
notably the ability of one plugin to talk to another.

The idea here is that features of one rendering system that aren't
supported by Moray (or by POV-Ray for that matter) could be implemented
as a plugin, which would then directly talk to the plugin that is
supporting the alternate renderer.

> Moray would also benifit from an overhauled patch modelling system,
> personally i find the current system a nightmare to use properly, and as
> spatch seems to be dead in the water these days maybe a merger of sorts
> would be a good idea.

I agree - polygonal modelling capabilities with conversion to
subdivision surfaces.

> object masking would be essential as well, meaning the ability from within
> moray to turn of parts of the scene, replacing them with a single large
> bounding box.

You can do that.  A nice addition to the current capability would be to
have layers.

Xander