POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Optimizing Moray : Optimizing Moray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:29:47 EDT (-0400)
  Optimizing Moray
From: Nathan J  Smith
Date: 3 Dec 1999 03:22:21
Message: <38477EA3.6F03F55A@ilstu.edu>
I have been working on a rather large scene for the past year (I don't
often have time to work on it).  It consists of thousands of objects,
many of which are CSGs (the newest objects are).  Most of them are
duplicated with references many times.  I thankfully broke the scene up
into the various pieces at the beginning so that not everything is in
one large file.  Rather there are several files each with a complex
object in them.  I combine the pieces together into a single larger
scene for renders.

My problem is that the various scenes have become slow on the redraw due
to the large number of lines.  What can I do to optimize the preformance
of Moray?  If I were to do a hardware upgrade, what would help Moray the
most?  Below is a system description:

PII 266
64 Meg RAM
STB Powergraph 64V+  (S3 chip) with 2 meg VRAM

I realize that a faster processor would help POV-Ray, but right now I'm
more concerned with speeding up Moray.  Any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.

Nathan