POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Patched/Unoffical Version ?s : Re: Patched/Unoffical Version ?s Server Time
28 Jul 2024 06:26:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patched/Unoffical Version ?s
From: Ken
Date: 3 Dec 1999 03:12:42
Message: <38477AE5.B0ECDA08@pacbell.net>
Fabian Brau wrote:

> > For example Nathan changed the way that layered filtered
> > pigments work and that caused some people some problems using existing
> > include files that use that feature.
>
> If I remember well, Nathan has also changed the way to calculate the
> normals. Could you tell me if the "official" way to calculate the
> normals is buggy or not. This mean that if it is buggy, the next release
> of the official POVRAY could be corrected. If this is not a bug and if
> Nathan do this for another reason, so I will know that the official and
> the Nathan release will never calculate in the same way :).

The official version is buggy.

#declare My_Normal = normal { bumps .5 scale .5 }

#declare Texture =
 texture {
  pigment { rgb 1 }
    normal { My_Normal scale 1.5 }
 }

  In the example the scale after My_Normal does not work correctly in the
official version. Nathan has fixed this in the unofficial version. This
bug will be fixed in POV-Ray v3.5.

http://www.povray.org/links/