POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Associating files w. POV-Ray : Associating files w. POV-Ray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 06:12:05 EDT (-0400)
  Associating files w. POV-Ray
From: omniVERSE
Date: 2 Dec 1999 14:34:27
Message: <3846c9c3@news.povray.org>
First thing to do is backup a copy of cmedit.dll.
  The changes I made to cmedit.dll are simply to replace  txt  with  mcr
and there are 4 instances of that located in a obvious section of the file
(2 more exist but need not be changed).  I also switched out the word "Text"
for Mcro (1 instance of it) where the others are found at.  The old Write
program (from Win 3.1) does this well if just doing a Edit/Search/Replace
after opening the cmedit.dll file and select  No Conversion  when prompted.
  Unless you're familiar with it the newer Write.exe (20KB or 5KB) is just a
front for Wordpad.exe currently in Win9* and won't work far as I know.  I've
tried the MS-DOS Edit.com for this sort of thing too and it doesn't do it
right either.  If anyone knows of another non-formatting editor which can
successfully do this too the time is now to speak up.
  So....  I managed to add in a  *.mcr  to the File/Open... and File/Save
as... lists this way.  Then associated the mcr extension with POV-Ray to
Edit any of those files when clicking on them in Explorer.  In case someone
doesn't know how:  Run Explorer, go to View/(Folder) Options... and the File
Types tab there.  Press the New Type button and put  POV macro (or similar)
in the top field, mcr (or whatever extension you chose earlier) in the next,
then skip down to New button below Actions:.  Now enter Edit for the action
and choose the pvengine.exe path with the Browse button, adding  /EDIT "%1"
to the end after that.
  The syntax hilighting still will not function automatically so to see it
you're going to have to right-click (or Alt-Enter) in the file while it's
open in the editor to get to the Properties and select POV-Ray for the
language.

Bob
--
// omniVERSE