POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : SIMD implementation of dot-product in POV-Ray??? : Re: Memory allocation (was: Re: SIMD implementation of dot-product in POV-Ray???) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory allocation (was: Re: SIMD implementation of dot-product in POV-Ray???)
From: Ron Parker
Date: 30 Nov 1999 08:23:58
Message: <3843cfee@news.povray.org>
On 30 Nov 1999 12:11:25 +0100, Thomas Willhalm wrote:

>Sorry for replying to my own post, but since Thorsten and Mark didn't get
>my point (which is probably due to my limited knowledge about the English
>language) I will give a more detailed description of my idea.
[...]

I think Thorsten got your point, in that he mentioned it would cause problems
for the GUI versions because they don't terminate.  Of course, they do stop
rendering at some point, and you could easily clean up the large chunks o'
memory at that point.  Just make sure that GUI stuff never allocates memory
from there.

I think this idea has some merit, but I am concerned somewhat about the
possibility of wasting some large blocks of memory.  Consider what happens
when the current chunk o' memory has 31K left available and we ask to allocate
a 32k block of memory.  Not that 31K of wasted memory is horribly significant
these days, but those blocks could add up.  I suppose it's a tradeoff for the
expected time savings.

Also... it should be made a little more flexible, somehow.  If your scene has
lots of #declared objects, textures, etc. there are also a fairly large number
of allocations that get freed at the end of parsing.  It might be nice to free
them all at once too.