POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : fabric - cloth - carpets : Re: fabric - cloth - carpets Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fabric - cloth - carpets
From: Ken
Date: 27 Nov 1999 17:12:57
Message: <384056FE.2F9EAF65@pacbell.net>
oliver austin wrote:

> Please does anyone know of a source of inc files or the like that'll allow
> me to add textures of cloth, especially patterned cloth and carpets. Maybe
> even woodchip wallpaper although  the thing about ray tracing is that detail
> like that is lost  when you look at the overall scene ( oh well) Thank you
> Oliver

For cloth I use bump maps to apply the weave pattern and use proceedural
textures for the color patterns. There are numerous sites on line that have
textile patterns you could use for the bump map. See the links in my sig
for sites that have textures for the bump maps.

 For carpets the one time I tried it I used a height field. I simply went
into paint shop pro and created a black and white noise pattern with the
help of a couple of photo shop filters. If you get the density of the noise
high enough it makes a passable shag carpet. The problem with using a more
proceedural approach would be the sheer number of objects needed to cover
any reasonable sized area and have the density you need to make it look
convincing. That is why I opted for the HF method. You might take a look
at Chris Colefax's hair growth include file. It might be adapted to this
task but I have no working examples to offer you at this time.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/

In the scene files groups on this server are several examples of grass
for lawns you might also adapt to this purpose or they might at least
give you some ideas on how to proceed.

Gilles Tran also offers a grass include file you can look at:

http://www.mediaport.net/Artichaud/Tran/sources/gtsrcee.htm