POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Mirroring of objects : Re: Mirroring of objects Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mirroring of objects
From: Ken
Date: 24 Nov 1999 04:05:07
Message: <383BA9B0.2181BB18@pacbell.net>

> You simply scale it a negative value in the axis you want mirrored.
>
> ex: scale <-1, 1, 1> to mirror the x-axis.

 That may be true for relocating symetrical objects but it is not truly
a mirror function like that found in some programs. AutoCad for example
has a mirror command that offers a lot of power. For example if you had
a mesh of a human and split it exactly down the middle and then discarded
one half of it you could not use the mirror command by placing the mirror
line right where the split occured and the program will make an exact copy
of the original but mirrored. Now you have a fully formed mesh of a human
again. There are a lot of other uses for this feature but I think the
one I just gave is a good example of its power.