POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects? : Re: Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 02:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects?
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 20 Nov 1999 04:12:24
Message: <38366603.9C1DFF6@giwersworld.org>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   Actually wood reflects light. If it didn't, you would see it as black.
> And a white object in a room with wooden walls will certainly be colored
> differently than in a room with white walls.
>   I think that the color of the wood (or any material) depends on the
> frequency of the electrons the light affects.

	I think here we are getting into coherent (mirror, waxed wood)
and incoherent (regular wood) reflection. If we could smooth
regular wood to a fraction of a wavelength of light it would be a
mirror also. To the mirage case, were there no turbulence people
would clearly see any clouds in the sky. If there were more
turbulence such as a wind the it would not be smooth enough to
reflect an image.

	As to color, yes it is a matter of what is reflected and
absorbed. Due to the wavelength of light it is most always only
chemical bond lengths that affect the color rather than
monatomic. (I think it is always rather than most always but I'd
have to think about it.)

--
http://www.giwersworld.org/artiii/

Oh my God! They've rendered Kenny!

How to profit from the end of civilization as know available here
soon.