POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects? : Re: Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects? Server Time
3 Sep 2024 02:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are angle dependent reflections based upon actual lighting effects?
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 20 Nov 1999 04:02:13
Message: <383663A0.E79623CE@giwersworld.org>
Ken wrote:

> Ior is a property of a material. Reflection is a property of a surface. At least
> this was the rational for moving ior into it's own property wrapper i.e. interior.
> I know that surfaces can be considered to have an ior value but this is generaly
> a very minor property where roughness and color have a much greater impact than
> does a surfaces ior value will.

	Yes but ... a surface can be defined as a constant IOR from any
cause. In the case of air the isosurfaces for temperature and IOR
would be the same. You can go through any perturbed volume and
define a surface as all points with the same perturbation value,
be it temperature, IOR, electric or magnetic potential.

>   To really clarify my point air does not generaly reflect light. It will transmit
> and refract light in varying amounts however. Shiny steel will reflect light redily
> but has extremely poor light transmittance.

	However, when the IOR varies there is an angle at which incident
light is reflected. The smaller that difference, the shallower
that angle.

--
http://www.giwersworld.org/artiii/

Oh my God! They've rendered Kenny!

How to profit from the end of civilization as know available here
soon.