POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : 'normal' is not taken into account in radiosity : Re: 'normal' is not taken into account in radiosity Server Time
2 Sep 2024 22:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'normal' is not taken into account in radiosity
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 16 Nov 1999 19:19:22
Message: <3831F533.B7CECE5D@peak.edu.ee>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

>   Actually the montecarlo approach is pretty fast and efficient (when done
> right, like Nathan has done).
>   Nathan's improvements are just marvelous. A scene which takes several hours
> to render with povray's regular radiosity at recursion level 2 takes only
> about 10 minutes with Nathan's modifications at recursion level 4 and the
> result is much better.
>   IMHO, we need no stinking "true" radiosity.

It does have the shortcoming of doing no energy balancing, so you have to tweak
a lot to have physically correct results. So it's not as suitable for
architectural lighting studies (not meant to be, I know) OTOH, it gives you more
freedom.
So if we don't get 'no stinking true radiosity', I can live with that.

Margus