POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : 'normal' is not taken into account in radiosity : Re: 'normal' is not taken into account in radiosity Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'normal' is not taken into account in radiosity
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 15 Nov 1999 18:27:48
Message: <3830979E.D60D5A8F@peak.edu.ee>
This is not bug, not even an ovesight IMO. I once mentioned the same thing, and
someone (Ron?) gave the following reason:
Radiosity values are not calculated for every pixel, therefore basing the
calculation on the perturbed surface normal could give erratic, unpredictable
results. (As you know, normal maps are mainly used to simulate small-scale
surface features)
It must be said though that I have gone to very high quality settings
(especially with Nathan's version) where this reasoning might not apply. So what
you suggest might be considered as an option. But not, I think, as a default.

Margus