POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Wondering about Noise() : Re: Wondering about Noise() Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wondering about Noise()
From: Gerald K  Dobiasovsky
Date: 12 Nov 1999 21:17:51
Message: <382cca4f@news.povray.org>
Abe <bul### [at] taconicnet> wrote:

> If I may be so bold as to stick my nose in here...

Why, this is an open forum,
not restricted to some "select" group of  hot shot programmers :)
(which I'm definitely _not_, just someone who started to poke
around in the POV source a little bit some time ago;
Mr. Enzmann ,BTW, plays in a different league
being the author of some parts of POV itself
and of all of the well-known Polyray raytracer).

>   Would this bias in Noise() manifest itself as "flat" areas in a Bozo
> normal modifier
> (i.e. would the high or low points of Bozo bumps appear shaved off)? If
> this is indeed the case it would give me rest on something which has
> puzzled me for a while.
>
> Abe

If you have access to povray.bugreports look at the thread started
by Ron Parker:
<37444591.0@news.povray.org>
(Re: Bozo "saturation" problem), May 20, 1999.

Noise() produces values in a broader range than [0,1],
but anything exceeding those limits gets clamped to either 0 or 1,
producing those "flat" patches.
With a bias towards negative values one would expect to see
more patches with value 0 than with value 1...

 --
Gerald
ger### [at] aonat