POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Wondering about Noise() : Re: Wondering about Noise() Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wondering about Noise()
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 10 Nov 1999 07:04:11
Message: <38295F5D.C76C9397@mitre.org>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> Alexander Enzmann wrote in message <382898C4.3749B2AA@mitre.org>...
> >Perhaps someone can shed a little light on the POV-Ray noise function.
>
> I found this out myself a few days ago while trying to write a Perlin noise
> pattern.  My solution was to simply add a line that divides the sum by 2
> before clamping.
>
> Mark

My interest is actually a little different.  I have a functioning noise
function - I wanted to be able to get the same type of distribution of
values that POV-Ray gets.  I made the assumption that POV-Ray had
implemented a 1/f noise function.  It doesn't.  Although I'm sure the
POV-Ray community will insist it is just fine, it isn't in accordance
with the characteristics of a solid noise function as described by
Perlin and Peachy.

Xander