POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mipmapping and trilinear filtering in povray : Re: Mipmapping and trilinear filtering in povray Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mipmapping and trilinear filtering in povray
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 9 Nov 1999 23:09:00
Message: <3828efdc@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote ...
> In article <382816f9@news.povray.org> , Nieminen Juha
> <war### [at] punarastascstutfi>  wrote:
>
> >   Now, povray only supports bilinear filtering. How about adding
automatic
> > mipmapping and trilinear filtering to it?
>
> I think the feature you want is anti-aliasing? :-)

Unfortunately, anti-aliasing won't always fix the problem.  The primary
difference is that with mipmapping, as the camera moves farther and farther
away, more and more pixels are effectively averaged to produce the final
output.  At the first stage, you get 4 pixels (2x2) averaged into 1.  The
next stage might be 2x2 blocks of stage 1, meaning 4x4 of the original or 16
total pixels.  By the time you get to stage three, its 2x2 of stage 2, or
8x8 of the original, or 64 pixles.  Getting that good of results by POV's
current anti-aliasing techniques would really make things slow.

However, I think something more general than mipmapping (so that it works
with all kinds of textures instead of just imagemaps) would be better... I'm
just not sure how to do that.

-Nathan