POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Lightsource Magnitudes : Re: Lightsource Magnitudes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightsource Magnitudes
From: Ken
Date: 8 Nov 1999 23:27:10
Message: <3827A1EF.EC035D81@pacbell.net>
Bill Hedge wrote:

> Hi all! Can anyone explain to me exactly what lightsource magnitudes equate
> to in real life? I'm trying to adjust my lighting in a scene for realistic
> lighting effects of a candle. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill

 The only way that you can accurately model a light source that complies to
"real life" is by using fade distance and fade power. These functions follow
the inverse square law which coincidentally are modelled based on the behavior
of a single open candle flame. Read up on fade distance and fade power in
the POV-Ray docs.