POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Solid height_field? : Re: Solid height_field? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solid height_field?
From: Ken
Date: 7 Nov 1999 01:31:29
Message: <38251CC1.880A5262@pacbell.net>
Tom Melly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to make a solid height_field, so that if you difference
> from it (for example, a footprint), you would get an indent (unless you're
> Ken), and not a hole.
>
> If not, what is the best approach to this problem?

  Actualy the best approach is not trying to csg the HF in this case. I
would instead add the foot prints to the HF image itself.
  In other cases were you want to add something like a cave through the side
of a mountain it is possible with a little creative CSG work. I have done so
in the past using an intersection and a difference of a cylinder through the
HF object. It takes a little bit of thinking on how CSG works but it is not
impossible.

  difference{
  intersection{
    height_field{tga "kpeak1.tga" smooth translate <-.5,-0.431,-.5>
    scale <128, 72, 128>rotate y*270 pigment{ rgb 1 }finish{ambient .7}}
    cylinder{<0,0,-120>,<0,0,154>,10 inverse pigment{rgb 1} finish{ambient .7}}}
    cylinder{<0,0,-120>,<0,0,154>,10 open    pigment{rgb 1} finish{ambient .7}}}

This worked for me once when adding a see through cave in a mountain peak image
I was working on. Your milage may vary and will depend on the topography of the
HF you attempt to apply it to.