POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Poser figures rendered in POV-Ray with UV Patch...? : Re: Poser figures rendered in POV-Ray with UV Patch...? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poser figures rendered in POV-Ray with UV Patch...?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 4 Nov 1999 10:27:40
Message: <3821A6AD.24FAA1A3@inapg.inra.fr>
Thomas Baier, Ken Tyler and Alan Kong have always given you good hints about
how to do this, so here are just a few more details about the procedure.
- there are two mesh formats in the Superpatch/UVPov that support
uv-mapping. I personally prefer mesh2 because of the smaller file size and
faster parsing time, but not all converters support it. My favorite
converter is 3DS2POV (from Thomas Baier) because it has a nice GUI.
- the two preferred export formats are OBJ and 3DS. There are serious bugs
in the 3DS export plugin of Poser (parts are forgotten or distorted...). If
you want to use this format, you can overcome the bug by exporting first to
OBJ, loading the OBJ format into Poser and exporting it again, as 3DS this
time. Stupid, but it works. Same sort of trick can be used with some wrong
geometries found on the Poserforum.
- there are sometimes problems in image maps that look all wrong when mapped
on the final povray model. Try to turn the map upside down.
- bump mapping works fine. The bump maps in Poser have a mysterious BUM
extension but they are only BMP files (at least in the Windows version).
Just rename them to BMP and convert them to a povray-compatible format. You
may have to edit them too to increase bumpiness, otherwise it's perfect. You
can use alpha-channels for transparency too.

Gilles