POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Win32 Console POV-Ray : Re: Win32 Console POV-Ray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win32 Console POV-Ray
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 4 Nov 1999 09:31:51
Message: <3821994D.AE07FF64@geocities.com>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Nov 1999 22:09:22 -0600, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> >In article <3820f651@news.povray.org> , "Chris Jeppesen"
> ><chr### [at] digiquillcom> wrote:
> >
> >> And I got rid of 607 warnings with a simple #define float double
> >
> >I presume you are using Visual C?  Just tell it to ignore the possible loss
> >of "data" warning.
>
> To do this, add one or more of the lines below to the appropriate place
> in config.h.
>
> /* disable truncation warning */
> #pragma warning(disable: 4305)
>
> /* disable precision warning */
> #pragma warning(disable: 4244)
>
> /* disable signed/unsigned warning */
> #pragma warning(disable: 4018)

Just note that this will hide the problem, but is not a really good solution
engineering-wise. Especially 4018.

But, there's not a simple fix, since most of those come up due to the use of
macros. It might take a lot of engineering effort to correct all those in a
manner that is cross-platform and also "correct". In POV_Ray, most of the
precision and truncation warnings are due to known conversions that are
desired, thus the warnings are less important (just remember that I said "most"
and not "all possible"). Of course, any new code writen will be nice and clean
and not have any of this, right? :-)

Go ahead and put on the band-aid, but remember that it is such.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.