POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Poser figures rendered in POV-Ray with UV Patch...? : Poser figures rendered in POV-Ray with UV Patch...? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Poser figures rendered in POV-Ray with UV Patch...?
From: Shawn Fumo
Date: 3 Nov 1999 22:14:21
Message: <3820FAC1.56BD@the-spa.com>
Hey there =)

Ok... a long time since I done any POV-Ray stuff. Finally got back into
it lately with a school project where we were supposed to do a
"Production Logo" in a program called Logomotion, but it couldn't do
what I wanted, so I did the animating in POV-Ray. Am happy with the
results.. will have to upload it to my site eventually...

But anyways, another assignment involved poser, and Poser4 is on all the
computers in the school's lab. My previous experiance of seeing Poser
models in stuff like IRTC entries really hadn't impressed me a huge
amount...

But then I started looking around the internet, and found a bunch of
sites devoted to poser, and especially the gallery of that Poser Online
Forum page... I mean some of the pictures it really was hard to tell
that they were computer generated...

Of course while Poser can render stuff itself, it isn't really designed
to be a big full-featured type of thing, and I am much more used to
POV-Ray for doing stuff than something like Bryce, Ray Dream Studio,
3DMax, etc. etc.

So, in the documentation in relating to bringing Poser models into those
programs, it looked like the main method was exporting to OBJ files, and
then UV mapping the person's body texture onto it.

So, basically my main question is have people had luck trying to get
this to work with POV-Ray? It looks like it exports to OBJ, 3DS,
Detailer, RIB, Wavefront, 3DMF, VRML/H-Anim, and DXF.

So, I guess the two-part thing is which way have people found the best
to get the model itself into POV-Ray, and (reason I am posting to this
group), how the mapping has worked in terms of the UV Patch... And I
guess while I'm at it, also any of the bump-mapping. Hmmm.. would that
be a UV Mapped Bump Map? Is that even possible in the patch? =)

I know I should do more research on my own, but I am dying with
bazillions of projects hanging over my head. So just curious what
others' experiances have been...

Thanks =)
Shawn