POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Fractal patch : Re: Fractal patch Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fractal patch
From: Simen Kvaal
Date: 3 Nov 1999 08:07:55
Message: <382033ab@news.povray.org>
>  Yes, I was thinking about adding different (predefined) formulas for
>coloring the interior and exterior of the fractals.
>  I thought also about letting the user to specify coloring methods or even
>pixel color calculations, but that would be almost like making a
programmable
>shader, I think.

>  Adding those pattern types was quite easy just by looking how the mandel
>type was done. I have not studied the povray source code so much that I
>could add a completely new type of block with its own syntax.
>
>--

Well, I think the FRACTINT source is free. Why not ask the authors for
permission to simply use the FRACTINT code to parse user formulae? I think
there wouldn't be any need to create that much addition to the POVRAY-code,
because you could create some statement like:

#import "masta_blasta.frm"

and simply let the patched POV read the .frm as FRACTINT does! Then add
identifiers for the formulae in the .frm-file. The patch could have new
class definitions for formulae, and such there wouldn't be a need for
including the formula generation inside the scene language itself.

Good idea, huh? Isn't it?

Then again, the best would of course to have it *in* the scene language. But
the superpatch has some of this functionality, hasn't it? I mean, with the
isosurface primitive (? :)  you specify the implicit equation for the
surface.

I got a little carried away here, because I just love the thought of full
control over fratals in pov! Man! That would be like christmas, easter,
birthday, wedding, and fune... no. But the first ones, all at once!  :)

Simen.