POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Converters from pov to dxf or other 3D file formats : Re: Converters from pov to dxf or other 3D file formats Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converters from pov to dxf or other 3D file formats
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 29 Oct 1999 03:55:53
Message: <38195309@news.povray.org>
Charles & Paula <pcd### [at] cybercablefr> wrote:
: As far I understood how are the .pov files, there are made of spheres, lines
: and triangles with a colour, position in the space, etc. Why these
: attributes can't be transfered in an other file format ?
: Maybe I'm wrong in my believes ?

  Ken gave you an excellent answer.
  Besides that I would like to emphasize that in povray only meshes, triangles
and bicubic patches are made of triangles. Everything else are mathematical
objects.
  There are even objects that can't be represented with a finite number of
triangles (like many polynomials which form an infinite surface). Finite
objects can always be approximated with triangles but some of them are not
trivial to convert.