POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Square and triangular pattern : Re: Square and triangular pattern Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Square and triangular pattern
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 14 Oct 1999 14:30:04
Message: <3806218B.D116F0E5@fv.aetec.ee>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 09:50:26 -0700, Ken wrote:
> >

> >Vahur Krouverk wrote:
> >
> >> Well, indeed it is done already, but this page seems to be really old
> >> and seems like he haven't published source code. Does anyone have
> >> contact with him?
> >> At least this page shows, that shaders in POVRay are possible...
> >
> >I have no more data than what I provided. Did you search the site ?
> >This was allegedly accomplished with a Pov v2.2 patch and the source
> >should be available somewhere.
>
> The source was on the old ftp.povray.org, and is still on ftp.cdrom.com
> in /pub/povray somewhere.  Nobody's ever gotten it to compile and run
> properly, and it's not been ported to 3.x.  It's also got some severe
> limitations, among them the fact that it doesn't support uv mapping and
> the derivative stuff from SL.  Those things are both fairly vital, so
> the average SL texture from the net wouldn't be usable.
>
> However, with Nathan's UV patch (especially if we all pitched in and
> extended it to the objects that still need it) and the information in
> the '99 SIGGRAPH paper on tracing Ray Differentials, it could almost
> work.  It's still a lot of work, and you'd probably want to ignore
> POVMAN and just start over.

Can you point out, in which paper it was? How can I see it? Can You send
me a copy or if it is not possible (due to copyright), then how can I
purchase this paper (preferably online, assuming that it does not cost
me arm and leg). I'm not saying, that I will start implementing of
shader, I'm just curious. Although...