POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Macro Trees :-) : Re: Macro Trees :-) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:13:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macro Trees :-)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 12 Oct 1999 11:38:29
Message: <38035694.DBC8873C@inapg.inra.fr>
Josh English wrote:

> Don't be detracted by people saying that Gilles has made the ultimate tree
> macro (Well, he has, in my opinion) but the purpose is to do it yourself,
> right?

...and there were already many tree macros when I did mine (which I'm in the
process of updating) and there is also Tom Aust's wonderful macro
(http://www.aust-anfertigungen.de/), TreeDesigner and a long list of commercial
programs used by the big boys. To be frank, I don't think there's such a thing as
an ultimate tree macro, because the sheer number of parameters and the parsing
time required for such a macro would make it quite impractical. But tree macros
are fun to create (I learnt a lot while doing mine) and to use, and give good
results if you don't compare them to the real thing.
The following paper was written by the people who make xfrog and may be of
interest for anyone who is interested in the implementation of realistic plant
structures (individual plants or plantations)
http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/ecosys/
Welcome to the club !
G.