POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pointlight vs. spotlight media interaction (26kB) : Re: Pointlight vs. spotlight media interaction (26kB) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pointlight vs. spotlight media interaction (26kB)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 11 Oct 1999 12:54:30
Message: <38021646@news.povray.org>
THANKS.

The key is to leave the media "out of" the interior of the sphere.  I had
received advice before but I interpreted it as suggesting that I put the
media INSIDE the hollow object or plane.  This didn't look that good with the
scene I was considering at the time. With media inside the hollow object,
there was too much attention drawn to the interface of the object.  (BTW, a
sphere, rather than a cone, would be needed for my ultimate project: light
pouring out of a porous 3dnoise isosurface!)

sphere { 0, 400 pigment {rgbt 1} hollow

// comment out the 1st or 2nd line following
}
//interior{

media {
   intervals 10
   scattering { 2, red 0.05 blue 0.001 green 0.02}
   samples 1, 10
   confidence 0.9999
   variance 1/1000
   ratio 0.9
 }
       }
//uncomment out the next line if you uncomment out the 2nd line above.
//}

Ron Parker wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 15:43:41 -0400, Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> >This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> >--------------0F39FD1270EE228044A619BF
> >
> >Here are images which document the difference between pointlight and
> >spotlight interactions with atmospheric media.  If that's the way it's
> >supposed to be, then so be it. This difference is quite annoying to me
> >as it goes against my intuition that point and spot lights should be the
> >same kind of animule, just different in their directional coverage.
>
> Try adding this line at the end of your scene:
>
> cone { 0, 0, 600*y, 50 pigment {rgbt 1} hollow}
>
> See my posting from a couple weeks ago on why this has the effect it
> does.  (povray.general, I think.  Something about media tutorials or
> such.  Maybe someone could post a more complete reference?)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hollow.jpg' (17 KB)

Preview of image 'hollow.jpg'