POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : YAHI : Re: YAHI (<130kb B.U.) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YAHI (<130kb B.U.)
From: TonyB
Date: 10 Oct 1999 18:18:59
Message: <380110d3@news.povray.org>
>Reminds me a bit of the first level of Quake 2...

Great game... excellent late-night material... good nightmares... it may
have partially (subconsiously) inspired this in conjunction with Star Wars.

>And I was just about to ask how you did the textures :)

Well, like I said, I used only image_maps, no patterns here. For the columns
I averaged different colors with the same texture. The bottom of the columns
(fat part) is UV mapped. The upper parts of the columns were created by
making each individual face (x and z only, as y isn't visible) and texturing
the group afterwards. By using some turbulence, it doesn't look exactly the
same from one column to the next. All textures are 1/9 reflective. The
background is a plane with the texture scaled and translated into a precise
location. I used some matrix for shearing/skewing.

I plan to add some dust in the air for the final version, with some light
coming in through the windows on the left, maybe after framing them. I also
want to add some reflective caustics to illuminate the scene a little
better. Oh, and I want to use fresnel reflection on the floor. I'm not 100%
happy with the textures and still have some more work to do on them, perhaps
adding some decorations on the walls. Maybe some celtic knots. What should I
add to fill up space? Plants? Perhaps someone could provide me with a
pre-posed humanoid that is staring out the window. How about a spacecraft
flying by the opening at the end.