POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fur: two quick methods : Re: Fur: two quick methods Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fur: two quick methods
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 9 Oct 1999 21:03:52
Message: <37ffe5f8@news.povray.org>
Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:
> The media idea is damn clever! Not something for close-ups, but it looks
great
> in this view. Too bad it won't work for animations...
> The other might need a little tweaking, right now it's not quite as
convincing.

I guess the basic idea I was thinking of was a sort of displacement mapping:
by using a larger shell object with a partially transparent texture you
avoid the smooth edges that give away bump-mapped surfaces (left sphere),
while still keeping control over the direction, length, self-shadowing, etc.
of the fur (right sphere).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fur.jpg' (21 KB)