POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Photon mapping - prism.jpg (~47K) : Re: Photon mapping - prism.jpg (~47K) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon mapping - prism.jpg (~47K)
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 9 Oct 1999 13:21:09
Message: <37ff7985@news.povray.org>
Try these photon settings:

        photons{
                gather 40, 100
                radius 0.3*phd, 1  // increased radius decreases
splotchiness
                autostop 1.5
                jitter .9  // jitter helps remove that lines effect
                expand_thresholds 0.2, 40
                range_divider 1000 // there must be a bug... but this is a
work-around for now
                adc_bailout 1/(256*40)
        }

To greatly decrease trace time, add
 photons { reflection off refraction off}
to your ambient light source.  You can take it off again for the final,
high-quality, trace once all testing is done, if you so desire.

-Nathan

Simen Kvaal <sim### [at] studentmatnatuiono> wrote in message
> I've created a test image with UVPOV using Photon Mapping. It is an
> illustration of a standard class-room experiment showing refraction and
> reflection. I wanted to see whether Photon mapping actually could do this,
> and the results were quite surprising.
>
> The only problem is that the rays are a bit splotchy and I cannot find
good
> settings for them.
>
> It was amazing to see that the photons are refracted through the prism and
> reflected on the inside, creating a zig-zag pattern as one would expect
from
> the real world. Rendering time was about 8 mins; 6 mins mapping photons.
:/

> But I am not quite happy yet. There seems to be some strange phenomena,
for
> example the forst refracted the stripe suddenly ends!
>
> Any comments welcome!
>
> Simen.
>
> ------
>
> // beginnig of source for prism1.jpg
>
> #include "colors.inc"
>
> // settings for photon gathering; as in example in the docs. Lower
> // phd gives better results and longer tracing time.
>
> #declare phd=0.35;

al_settings{
>         photons{
>                 gather 20, 100
>                 radius 0.1*phd, 2, 0.1*phd
>                 file://autostop 0
>                 jitter .01
>                 expand_threshol
ds 0.2, 40
>         }
>         max_trace_level 20
> }
>

> // an ambient light source
> light_source { <-50, 50, -50> color White*0.45 }
>
> // camera - placed on the z-axis then rotated
> camera {
>         location -z*30
>         direction z
>         up y
>         right 4/3*x
>         angle 40
>         look_at 0
>
>         rotate <47, 30, 0>
> }
>

> // some settings:
> #declare w = 0.41; // witdh of constraining container
> #declare l = 30; // length of containter - bigger gives narrower spreading
angle on the ray
> #declare stre = 10; // strenth of light - do not increase this if l is
increased - automatic adjustment here