POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Garden - Work in Progress : Re: Garden - Work in Progress Server Time
4 Oct 2024 03:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Garden - Work in Progress
From: Tika
Date: 5 Oct 1999 14:11:24
Message: <37fa3f4c@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes <inv### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> 'ambient', if too high (1 max is typical, 0.1 is default) will tend to
> flatten the colors on shapes and leave you without enough contrast.  Same
> can happen if adding 'no_shadow' to the object or 'shadowless' to your
> light.  Takes some learning time, just keep at it.  The variations are so
> endless that unless you use defaults you could end up with anything
> practically.

Well, I never set any 'ambient' in the picture that I know of... I just used
defaults that came up when I inserted code from the code menu or made myself.
I'll have to experiement with ambient to see what it does to the picture.

> If by "shine" you mean let the light shine off of it like a reflected glare,
> that can be tough since it gets based upon orientation of all three things,
> camera, light and object.  You have to think in terms of real world
> instances of things and position accordingly.  Other than that, by varying
> the 'roughness' for 'specular' you can change how much and how wide a
> surface area gets affected.

Ah, ok. I'm thinking, I want the treehouse roof, house, hole and perch to look
like painted wood, and the post to look like painted rough metal (you know,
the kind of posts with little dimples in it :) I think I'll try and make my
own textures (not image maps :) for that - if I learn how to make textures,
that is. <G>

> Btw, please don't put a black 'disc' on there for the openings, okay?  : )

I don't want to either. :) I wanted the hole to look real - like you can peer
into it, so I think I'll leave the hole as is. After all, a real birdhouse
actually has a *hole* in it, so thus should my model, IMHO.

--

Tika

Tika's Graphics: http://www.5thpower.com/tika/