POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : why is mosaic preview required for radiosity? : Re: why is mosaic preview required for radiosity? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: why is mosaic preview required for radiosity?
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 2 Oct 1999 00:24:37
Message: <37f58905@news.povray.org>
Robert Dawson wrote in message <37f4b0b2@news.povray.org>...

>Tomas Plachetka <pla### [at] uni-paderbornde> wrote in message
>    Which reminds me of something I thought of a while ago that ought to be
>easy enough but I haven't done anything about it yet (my Copious Free Time
>does not stretch to figuring out how to compile POV on BCPP5 right now).
>With mosaic preview it ought to be possible to get more feeedback on how
the
>'trace is going.  In fact, even without, it ought to be possible...
>
>    Right now WinPOV gives a speed indication that appears to be average
>pixelhertz from start to right now. It would be nice also to have as
command
>line/menu options:
>
>    (b) an "ETR" (Estimated Time of Render) computed from the mosaic
>preview. This could even be an interval estimate, based on the amount of
>variation found so far [preferably nonparametric, as the distribution can
be
>very skewed.] A  trickier process would be accounting for anti-aliasing...
>that would mean doing a small amount of AA at the specified setting ahead
of
>time, separate from the . One might want that to be separately switchable,
>or assume that anybody using AA is up for a bit of a waitand won't mind an
>extra ten seconds to get their forecast.

I'm working on a pseudorandom drawing order option for POV-Ray that will
trace pixels in random order, causing the image to 'develop' over the course
of the trace.  This will allow the user to accurately calculate the time
remaining from the percentage completed and the speed in %/second or
pixels/second.  The problem I'm running into is massively increased
rendering times when using antialiasing.

Mark