POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV-Win and Macro File Associations : Re: POV-Win and Macro File Associations Server Time
28 Jul 2024 06:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Win and Macro File Associations
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 30 Sep 1999 20:40:41
Message: <37f40309@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>   Since the introduction of macros with POV-Ray v3.1 many utility
> macros have been introduced with a file extension of .MCR identifying
> it as a Pov macro file. Naturally this is an underground movement but
> since this is the way that Chris Colefax identifies them it is becoming
> a standard designation for macro files.
>   One unfortunate spin off from this is that POV-Win does not recognize
> the .MCR file extension and any files opened or saved with that extension
> are ignored by the editor and syntax highlighting is turned off by
default.
> It can of course be corrected by manually changing the language settings
> for each file that you open or save with that extension but I suggest it
> would be useful to add that extension as one recognized by the editor in
> some future version of the program.

Oh dear - don't tell me I've gone and started another inconvenient trend?!
I guess being stuck in the age of DOS prompts and batch files blinds me to
the wider effects of picking and choosing file extensions as I please.
Actually, the main reason I originally chose to name the Automatic Clock
Modifier macro file with an extension other than INC was to make it clear
the file should be included once at the beginning of the main scene file, as
opposed to the behaviour of my previous files.

Using the INC extension would be more proper, of course: perhaps it's time
to think of returning to the correct file extension...